3 years 7 months and 17 days later

 (I legit google my 2017 academic calendar and use a time calculator to get that title. August 2017, 21)

 April 7, 2021

So, today was...very emotional for me. 4 of my classmates had defended their thesis. And I am so proud of them, I couldn't even describe it. I am beyond ecstatic and happy for them finally getting the Bachelor of Education degree. Today's post might go in a very random direction, but I just want to write something. 

Let me start with this photo below that I just made a few hours ago:

 

That is a collage of photos that conclude my 2 days. Four of my classmates, Esther, Natasha, Novia, and Faiza. They all are now bachelors of education. They defended their thesis, and their struggle was finally paid off.

3 years 7 months and 17 days ago we attended our very first day of college. August 21, 2017. How the time flies so f fast. It's just unbelievable that we were 18, and now we're 22. From high school students, to pre-service teachers. I still can't believe it.

Okay. I want to break it down now, and this probably will just end up being a letter to everyone I mentioned and how proud I am of them. When I saw the photo, the top photo to be exact, I wanted to cry so bad. Never had I imagined we would get to this point. 

Esther was one of my classmates who I share a birthday with. Yep, that's right. Our birthdays are on February 2nd. She was this determined and talkative girl in the class. Sometimes she's panicky, but that's just how she is. More importantly: She is tough. She would finish everything in the best way possible. And she just defended her thesis this morning. 

Natasha was the quiet girl in the class. I still remember how she trembled so bad in our speaking class 3 years ago, and now, look at her. The first from batch 2017 to defend her thesis. She's this cute and adorable friend who you would love to be around with. I did my community service program with her and it was a damn roller coaster.

Noviantika was an avid reader. Back before the pandemic, we would spend our time in the library's work station: either working on assignments or just entertaining ourselves by watching tons of guilty pleasure videos. Probably we did the second one more than the first. The question is, who doesn't? One time, we met at the library (during the pandemic) and were just pointing at each other like we haven't seen each other in decades (okay that is a little bit of an exaggeration over there). But yeah, I'd like to call her my library buddy (hope you don't mind, Vi).

Faiza was my first friend in this study program. Our group in the initiation was neighbors, and I still have the vivid image of our high fives when we found out we were in the same study program. On the first day of college, we also sat together. She's this talkative and warm friend who just radiates positivity. She's the creator of this specific group of words we all in the class were and still are using to this day.

Dear Esther, Natasha, Via, and Fay,

I just want to say: Thank you. Thank you for being my friends, thank you for every moment we spent together: from being classmates in our speaking 1 class, to classmates in research methods class. From English Action Days to LLTC, from 18 to 22. Thank you for being tough and resilient and made it through the entire struggle. Today marks the day where one journey ends, but another awaits for you up there. May the degree lead you guys to the most perfect door for whatever career path or education path you choose. You all are such a hard worker, and I can't wait to see what the future holds for you. I wish you all the best. Last but not least, I really think this lyric represents what I really want to tell you all:

"You're original, cannot be replaced
If you only knew what the future holds

After a hurricane comes a rainbow

Maybe a reason why all the doors are closed

So you could open one that leads you to the perfect road

Like a lightning bolt, your heart will glow

And when it's time, you'll know

You just gotta ignite the light
And let it shine
Just own the night
Like the Fourth of July
'Cause baby, you're a firework

Come on, show 'em what you're worth."
- Fireworks, Katy Perry

I know it's very mainstream, and there are another tons of other motivational songs, but this one hits just right in my opinion. I think I'll stop here or else imma write another 10 paragraphs and no one can stop me. I love you, you all matter, and you all are loved. Good luck for your future journey ahead. Vina loves you to the moon and to Saturn (TS reference, I just love her and I have to do it lol xD)

Virtual  hugs,

Vina

***

I am very very happy for them defending their thesis and finishing their studies in 3 years 7 months and 17 days.

Let me be a little bit melancholic now.

3 years in kindergarten, 6 years in elementary school, 3 years in junior high school, 3 years in high school. Never in those range of time had I found the most amazing classmates in all time. My class, small A, was just this perfect family I am incredibly grateful for. We have a tradition to do group photos together each semester (but not in semester 6 and 7 because of corona). One time we also had a breakfasting together. How could I not love them with all my heart?

"From all the memories
How do I not miss you
When you are gone
How can I not love you."
- How Can I Not Love You,
Joy Enriquez

(me: writing on a netbook with 1GB of RAM and without bluetooth but proceed to upload 8 photos)









I will never stop saying how grateful I am to have them as my classmates for the last 3 years and 7 months. That's because I am. Having them just makes my college life 10000x times better. Literally. Being in the same class with them is just so amazingly fantastic.

If there was the best lesson 2020 could teach me, is not to take things for granted. Although things are getting better, but still, human interactions won't be the same again after this. And yeah, I did take things for granted. If there's a magical well and I could ask for one wish, I'd wish for a time machine. Or if infinity stones really did exist, the time stone would obviously be on my number one wish list. I would love to have the interaction we used to have before, during, and after class before the pandemic hits. I really miss sitting doing nothing in the corridors, waiting for classes, or waiting hours before a committee meeting. I really miss being a committee too.

And now here we are.

(wait, this goes to a direction I really didn't plan to)

What I mean is, here we are, 3 years 7 months and 17 days later, with 4 of us finally get their bachelor of education degree. Can't wait for the others to omelette (ik that's not a verb) themselves next month and in the following month. Godspeed for all of you!


Cheers,

Vina Kanasya
6:43 pm

Comments