Welcoming 2020

“Don’t read the last page
But I stay when it’s hard or it’s wrong or we’re making mistakes
I want your midnights
But I’ll be cleaning up bottles with you on new year’s day

Hold on to the memories, they will hold on to you
Hold on to the memories, they will hold on to you
Hold on to the memories, they will hold on to you
And I will hold on to you

Please, don’t ever become a stranger whose laugh
I could recognize anywhere
Please, don’t ever become a stranger whose laugh
I could recognize anywhere.”
– New Year’s Day by Taylor Swift

(Taylor’s New Year’s Day was on repeat again)

Hey reader(s)

I am really sorry that I couldn’t post my 2019 wrap up that I usually make at the end of December 2019. Yesterday was hectic. I did a lot of cleaning up in my house, and yesterday I was really in a mood to do some cleaning. Therefore, while I was cleaning my house, a lot of thoughts about my 2019 were also popping out in my head. I was thinking about my 2019. Was it amazing, excellent, surprising, stressful, or even upsetting? Let’s get started

January 2019

I had my first internship program. I translated it literally, it was actually called PLP. During the PLP, all I did was sitting and do some observations on the school. At first, I got placed in a high school quite far from my house. I switched school with my friend and got a school which was only 5-minute ride from my house.

To be honest, it was not that fun. Although the school was close my house, but the atmosphere during the program was not fun at all. I guessed there will always a minus in everything. I couldn’t get best of the both worlds. At least I could finish the program well. Until this day, I always feel like an anomaly. I think I have written about this previously.

This was everything that had to work on for more or less 2 weeks. Duh.


February 2019

It was the first time I didn’t post anything about my birthday on my Instagram. I wrote something and posted it on my blog few hours before February 2nd changed into February 3rd. Here’s some part of the post:

“Barangkali tulisan ini adalah publikasi pertama tentang hari bahagiaku hari ini.

Sepertinya mulai sadar makna dari ulang tahun itu sendiri. Bukan lagi saatnya hura-hura, tapi saatnya serius dan mulai bersikap bijak. Semester baru di depan mata, hidup akan makin susah dengan tantangan sesuai level yang bisa aku atasi. Say hello to 20.

Life’s no longer about how to pass the problem. Now it’s about how you will deal with it. Obstacles will always be there to test you before you go to the next level of life.” – me on February 2019

After I read that part again this time, I can still relate with myself a year ago. A birthday is no longer 100% celebration. It is 45% self-reflection, 45% setting new goals, and 10% celebration.

March – April 2019

I had to mention that during this period of time together with the other committee; I was very busy preparing English Action Days 2019. The struggle was real. There were a lot of tears, laughter, and even anger along the journey. Even for the following few months after, I was still feeling what I thought like a never ending guilt and sadness. However, I had some highlight that I wanted to share. 
 


Source: EAD 2019’s documentation team
 


Taken by: my father



I remember clearly that day. It was 7th of April 2019. I woke up with a wide smile in my face knowing what I would do for the whole day. It was one of the best days of my life. Although I had a big trouble few hours before the first picture was taken, when I looked back to that day, I could still smile and consider it as a great lesson. Thank you, EAD 2019. I would express my biggest gratitude to Gatra, Iko, Dandi, Kevin, Kidung, Bram, Mercy, Ukik, Sinta, Lintang, Dika, Adven, Nikola, Mas Aldi, my father, my mother, Mas Febri, Mbak Paras, and everyone involved in this event. I would also send my warmest hug to Indri and Dina. I owe y’all.

May 2019

At the end of May 2019, I had a breakfasting together with my classmates. It took time right on May 31st. Here’s the highlight






I am so happy to have them for the last 5 semesters. Keep being you, guys. Love, Vina.

July 2019

June 2019 is a full holiday. However, I had some preparation for SEA-DR 2019 in July. Looking back to SEA-DR, I consider that as a lesson on how to take care of people in that one big event. Every annoyance and frustration during the event were totally paid off when I saw these people. 




A blurry pic of me won’t hurt anybody



Sadly, we weren’t full team in these pictures. Miss Ika wasn’t in the photo :( 

August 2019

Welcoming my fifth semester in ELESP

Fifth semester is indescribable. It was like in a war where we had to move at a snail's pace, slow but sure, to finish the struggle. The struggle was real, and never in my life do I want to give up. Still, we could hold the smile and even plan a surprise for our academic advisor. We gave her a belated birthday surprise. Better late than never, right? It was also for the first time we surprised her on her birthday.



We surprised her in our Learning Program Design (LPD) class on one of the Fridays. LPD is a three-credit subject where we learn to make a comprehensive lesson plan according to our national curriculum. It was one of the hardest subjects during this semester. LPD projects are very complex and it requires our brain to work harder. In other words, we are required to think like a teacher.

September 2019

We had an expo to introduce Dialogue Magazine!

Eleven months has passed since I officially became part of Dialogue Magazine (Oct 2018 – Sept 2019). And….now I am not only a reporter, but also an editor. Never have I imagined that I would be an editor in Dialogue. Here is the picture we took together after the expo.




October 2019

I got an opportunity to write about Kunto Aji. I got an access (big big thanks to my father who made it happen) to interview and meet Kunto Aji when he performed in Psychofest 2019. The interview was actually done digitally. The access I got was to take pictures with him. Most importantly, I got to finish this with Rebecca, accompanied by Olga. Here are the pictures 





November 2019

There were 2 big events happening in November. The first one, I became an LO in Ngayogjazz 2019. It was a jazz event. I worked with new people and met new acquaintances. This was the only photo I had. We took it after the event.

Meet Aldi, Fiona, Mas Hanif, and Mas David. It was very fun to work with them. 

At the end of November, there was one final event: The 6th International Language and Language Teaching Conference 2019. It was my second time participating at the conference as a committee… my first time as a presenter. Yup, you read it right. I accompanied my mother to present her paper about critical thinking in a pragmatics class. Although it was my second time being a moderator (which I had to talk in front of people), but presenting was a different thing. When I became a moderator, I spoke based on template. When I was presenting, I had to present something that I had prepared before, it wasn’t something that I had repeated for few times. It was a big challenge for me. I was very grateful and beyond blessed to have the opportunity. Check out the photos below.

LLTC Day 1

This is me, posing in the photo booth. My bad that I forgot who took this photo for me :\
 

  
Before the conference, we were editors. During the conference, we were the event division (sadly not full team yet). I guess this photo was taken by…Oh my gosh I forgot :(
 

 
This is Indri, the person I have talked about previously. She was my partner in EAD 2019. We both were the secretaries, together with Dina. We were also working together in LLTC 2019. Photo taken by Agra.
 


This is Agra, the operator on the D-Day. On the final rehearsal and the first day, we worked together to set up the main screen. What I meant was preparing the background and the information we should provide on the screen. Other than that, she is also a layouter in Dialogue Magazine. She will be layouting my and Rebecca’s upcoming article. Photo taken by Indri.
 


This is Alvia. She is my classmate, and we are student-number-neighbors. Her number comes right after mine. She is also one of the kindest human being I have ever known. I am so happy to know her <3 (Photo taken by Indri, I guess)

LLTC Day 2  

This is me presenting. I was trembling and my voice shaky :’D This photo was taken by Nosa.
.
  
This is the event division taking photo together with Mr. Jayakaran, our keynote speaker for the second day of the conference. Photo taken by Saka Adjie
 

This is our…full team photo, I guess. Photo taken also by Saka Adjie
 


Rebecca and Maria were my team last year. We were working on LLTC’s schedule and program book. This year, Maria was back as a presenter. (Photo taken by Bram)
 


Meet my twins. Esther and Miss Mega have the same birthday as I am. We all are Aquarians who were born on February 2.


LLTC 2019 was a wrap!

December 2019

Here you go. The last month of the year

Here are the 2 photos that indicated the end of semester


This is the class that I tutored this semester. They are freshman students. Also, it was my very first time being a pronunciation tutor. They are wonderful and I am so glad to be part of their journey.
 

 
And this is…our forgotten tradition of taking photo after the last exam. Last semester, we didn’t have this kind of photo. This semester, I tried to remind my friends not to go home after the IMS examination. And, here we go. Sadly, we missed 3 people from the photo.

***

Overall, my 2019 was great. It consisted of joy, sadness, anger, lesson, tears, laughter, tiredness, guilt, and everything mixed together. Looking back to 2019, or even 2018 and 2017, I started to feel that the most important thing when we are welcoming the upcoming year is your realization on yourself and surroundings.

During 2019, I have deactivated my Instagram account twice (and maybe more will come this year). During that period, I tried to focus more on my self-growth. I learn more about myself—which at first I thought I had known my whole life. It turns out that I didn’t even know myself that good. I guessed I have evolved into someone that is completely new. I tried to say ‘no’; I tried to arrange my priority; I tried to evaluate myself; I tried to push myself not to procrastinate; I tried to be a better version of myself.

Also, I tried to reduce consuming sweets and spending money on temporary stuff. Sounds weird, eh? But, here’s the thing: there was an event in my life where I realized I need to do this. Sweets ain’t good for health, and spending money causes guilt. Both are not good for my health in general. One affects my physical condition; the other one affects my mental.

How about zero waste lifestyle?

I am still living it, but I don’t share as much as I used to. I refuse plastic bags and bring my own shopping bag. I bring my water bottle every day. I buy food using my own container. I reduce buying take-away food (although I sometimes do take-away when I am in urgency). i do what I can because our earth is literally in danger.

Ah, there is one thing I want to share.

I challenge myself to be a content creator through Dialogue Magazine’s Instagram Account. I make some contents for Dialogue’s account. If you are a follower of @dialoguemagz_usd, some of the recent posts are made by me and Odi.

I used to hate Canva and even developed a love-hate relationship since it was so hard to use Canva, but I needed it to make things done. Thanks to Miss Mega’s CALL class, now I get used to Canva and even able to explore my ability. I made a lot of graphic images, and you actually can see it on my Google Sites. Click here to go to my page. That site was actually a project for my progress test 2 in CALL class. I made all the backgrounds by myself using Canva. Feel free to visit my Google Sites and let me know what you think of it :D

***

Finally, I would like to thank all the people who make my 2019 colorful and dynamic. 2019 was a very wonderful journey, and I am ready to welcome 2020 with all its ups and downs.

Welcome, 2020!



Cheers,

Vina Kanasya
January 2, 2020
20:54

Comments